Monday, February 22, 2010

Sunday

Yesterday was a really good day, but also a challenging day (those two often go hand in hand, don't you think?). We took Isaac to three different sacrament meetings. Walt spoke in another ward on assignment, so we went to our meetings for the first two hours and then to the ward where he was speaking. We got all the way through the sacrament before realizing we were in the wrong ward. Luckily the right ward started 30 minutes after this one, so we had enough time to run to the car, drive up the street to the right building, and walk in during the announcements. Isaac was so tired and hungry by that time that I had to take him out to feed him, but the two chairs in the mothers room were taken, and the mothers were chatting so loudly that I couldn't hear Walt's talk, even though it was turned way up. I couldn't hear his talk in the foyer, either, because so many people were talking and so many kids running around screaming from the ward that had just gotten out. Sigh. I'm sure I don't realize how loud I'm being at church sometimes, but that gave me a new desire to be reverent in every part of the building, even the mother's room. On the other hand, the ward was so friendly that 4 people came up to me after church to ask who I was and introduce themselves. Wow.

In the afternoon we got an email from an upset tenant. Some tenants are much easier and pleasant to work with than others. Can I just say?

In the evening we got to attend an Eagle Court of Honor, which Walt had the privilege of conducting. I had to leave part way through to go to a Young Womanhood Recognition night for a really good neighborhood friend, Hannah Fordham. Isaac was really struggling to be content in that meeting, too, and I had to pull every trick out of the bag to keep from having to take him out. The other people were very patient with us. They kept looking back at us and smiling that smile of sympathy that I'm coming to know so well. :) I probably should have taken him out, but I was determined to be able to stay all the way through some meeting that day and be able to see Hannah get her award!!

When we got home it was an hour past Isaac's bedtime, so the poor kid was fussy, and the kitchen was a mess from a couple different cooking projects, and when Walt got home right after I'd bathed Isaac and put him down, his shoulder was the one I cried on. He's got great shoulders for crying on. Although mostly I like his shoulders for hugging because we're just the same height, so my chin rests perfectly on his shoulders! Ahhhh. :) I felt so much better after a little cry, and Walt was so sweet and took over the dishes so I could get my pajamas on and type in my journal, and lo and behold, as I wrote I realized I'd learned soooo much that day and over the weekend that had strengthened my faith, even though at first glance it seemed like my weekend had just been stress. It was so neat! I just needed those few minutes to reflect and remember and see past the stress. Life is good.

2 comments:

Laura said...

What a day! Isn't it nice to have someone who will let you cry and then do the dishes? I got me one of those too. We are lucky women to be married to such great men!

Hope today's a good day!

Anonymous said...

Julie! You're amazing. It sounds like it was a full day. I cried at the end of yesterday too...someitmes that's just what I need to give me gratitude and strength! I can't wait to see you on Friday :) Love you!