Live and learn. That is often my motto of late. Since Isaac can pick up Cheerios and feed himself we've learned that having some Cheerios for the last 15-20 minutes of sacrament meeting usually means we can stay for the whole service without having to take him out. The way it typically works is that Walt holds Isaac, and I hold the container of Cheerios in my lap and put a few at a time in Walt's hand so Isaac can pick them up.
Well, yesterday Isaac realized that the magically appearing Cheerios actually come from a container on my lap, and before I could react he'd lunged and knocked the entire container of Cheerios out of my hand. Cheerios EVERYWHERE in the chapel. On the pew, in my lap, all over the floor in front of, behind, and to the sides of us. A sea of Cheerios. Right in the middle of a very touching testimony. I felt so ashamed to have disrupted a really spiritual moment with something so mortal and unimportant as Cheerios, even though I know I couldn't have anticipated it. The part that is funny now but wasn't funny at the time was that I was sitting next to a 16 year old boy, and as I picked up Cheerios from around his feet and leaned over his legs to get the ones on the other side, he never once acknowledged me or the Cheerios. I think it embarrassed him, which today is really funny to me. Ah well, I'm sure it won't be the last time I embarrass a teenage boy (give me a few years, Isaac). :)
APRIL-JUNE 2026
2 weeks ago
4 comments:
Love you Julie! I'm sure most people didn't think anything of it...especially people with kids. :)
I am so glad you feel that way too! I feel like when Owen does something in sacrament its like he has a mega phone and everyone can hear! Dont worry there are a lot of us in this club and we welcome ALL new members!
ps: cherios are totally acceptable, vomit no so much! It could have been much worse!
That is so funny! Anyone who has had a child has been there, and we all understand!
Was it Braden sitting in front of you? He would totally ignore it, or maybe pop a few in his own mouth since it was fast day and he was starving???
OK, you will appreciate this story. When Breanna was about 3, we got a little Halloween cat toy that when you push a small button, it makes this terrible eerie Halloween sound...for a long, long time. She wanted to take it to church and of course, we nixed that one. But, unbeknownst to us, she snuck it into the bag and pulled it out and pushed the button during a BABY BLESSING! Oh, how I tried to sit on that toy to stop the noise! It was one of the most embarrassing moments. Yet, I doubt almost anyone in the congregation actually heard it, or would remember it today even if they did :)
Oh these little ones are PRICELESS! We love watching you guys and your sweet Isaac!
Post a Comment