Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day

It's so exciting to really feel like a mother today. Our little guy is moving and kicking around regularly, reminding me that it won't be long until I'll be carrying him around in my arms instead of my belly. Just 6 1/2 weeks left! Walt is making breakfast for me right now - scrambled eggs, cinnamon cake, and fruit shakes. Yum!! This evening we are having Dad and Julia, Heather and Jon, and Alan, Liz and Lilli over for dinner. Julia requested homemade chicken noodle soup, homemade wheat rolls, and salad for dinner, and we're throwing in homemade strawberry ice cream for dessert. Why is it that food is such a central part of all celebrations in our culture? I think that is true for most cultures. One of the first things I think of when I consider a holiday or gathering of any size is "what will we eat?" And of course there are so many traditional foods for different holidays and different families. I love food!

Yesterday we planted our garden. We're a little late on this, but I think it will turn out. We ended up buying our tomato plants this year instead of doing starts in the garage like we usually do. We also bought some corn, which we've never done, so that'll be fun. Our rhubarb has been growing really well on its own, and we transplanted onions, carrots, green peppers, butternut squash, and zucchini from the starts we did. I keep going out to look at it. It's so fun to grow things!

No comments: