Sunday, May 31, 2009

Our new son, Hot Wheels

The neighbor boy, Keith (4 years old), stopped by on his bicycle the other day to chat. I was in the garage and he wanted to know why I had put our flag out for Memorial Day and which of our bikes was Walt's and whether it had a kickstand, and if my dad had the same truck as his dad, and if he could see our backyard, etc. It was very cute. It reminded me of a statistic I'd seen earlier in the week about how the average 4 year old asks 437 questions a day. So then I had a question for him: "What do you think we should name our baby?" He didn't have to think long: "Hot Wheels. My friend named her cat that, and I think it's a good name." Why I didn't ask him sooner is beyond me. Any kid would want a friend named Hot Wheels.

Yesterday we hired 7 youth from our ward to come over and work for us for 3 hours. They moved LOTS of furniture, pulled up carpet and padding, washed and painted baseboard, took off and painted doors, etc., etc. I was so impressed with how hard they worked! We got soooo much done. Our baby room is entirely painted, all the baseboards and door trim in the hallway, office, and family room are painted, the doors are almost all painted, and with the exception of the master bedroom the floors are ready for new carpet. My brothers and sisters-in-law and nieces also came and helped so much. It was such a blessing to get so much done in one day. We also posted Rocky online again, this time for free since we weren't getting any takers, and he was picked up and gone within 2 hours. I miss him.



Friday was my last day of work. One chapter of my life is over and another is about to begin. I've had some mixed feelings about it, but mostly I look forward to being a full-time mom.

2 comments:

Joel and Crystal said...

Enjoy your short retirement. :) I have such fond memories of teaching and am so glad I got to do it. It was one of my dreams. You will love motherhood and I know you will be an awesome mother! It is an amazing experience!

Shellie said...

Wow! Lots of changes. Love the name Hot Wheels.