Thursday, December 17, 2009

Arizona Christmases

We lived in Phoenix, Arizona, for Christmas when I was 11 and 12. I've always thought it was funny how our house there had a fireplace but no pool. We never once used the fireplace, but I can tell you that if we'd had a pool, it would have gotten plenty of use. Anyway, I remember how astounded I was our first Christmas there that you could put Christmas lights on a cactus. The thought had never occurred to me. I just figured people would stay as far away from their cacti as possible. But it was so fun to see how creative the Arizonans were, and it dawned on me that it could be Christmas even without cold and snow and pine trees. My Aunt Kelley and Uncle Craig lived in Phoenix at the time, too, and it was so fun to spend time with them and their little girl(now on a mission!).

For one of those Arizona Christmases we were joined by my Uncle Rod and Aunt JoLynn's family who drove down from Utah. JoLynn is one of those people who has more creative talent in her little finger than I do in my entire body, and she shares her talents so freely with others and is incredibly generous. That Christmas she brought us a gingerbread house she'd made. The gingerbread houses I make are the kind you pick at through the season and then throw away right after the holidays. JoLynn's gingerbread house held a place of honor in our home for months and months. It plugged in, lighted up, and had stained glass windows! It was the Taj Mahal of gingerbread houses. It was beautiful. Just now I wondered how in the world she transported it from Utah to Arizona in a car with 2 small children and all their stuff. WOW!!!! Thanks for making Christmas special for us, JoLynn!

2 comments:

Laura said...

Fun! I love Christmas in Phoenix. Of course, I love white Christmases too, but I grew up with green Christmas, so I feel right at home in warm weather in December. :-) (And I've never understood AZ houses with fireplaces either. Nuts!)

Anonymous said...

Hey hey! That's my Mom! I remember being a total PILL on that trip too! I kept razzing Rachel til she cried, then I got car sick haha! I also remember every time we stoppeed she would check the gingerbread houses haha!