So I tried the modified challenge this week of not using electronics before 1:00 pm. In my version of the challenge I could talk on the phone (but not text) and I could watch my aerobics video to work out (did that twice). No radio, computer, television.
There were a couple of close calls: On Thursday morning I needed to get out and run some errands, and I had a book that I'd sold on Amazon that needed to be mailed. But I had forgotten to print the invoice off the internet, so I had to wait until Friday. On Friday I almost caved at 12:20 because I wanted to look up a recipe online really bad! But I made myself leave the computer room (aka Kitchen) and wait. Whew! One day Walt called before 1:00 needing me to look up a couple phone numbers for him. I hesitated, wondering if this was a legitimate exception and then remembered about a long-forgotten resource collecting dust in a drawer. Some of you may have used one before: a phone book! And what do you know, it had the numbers I needed.
It surprised me how often my first reaction when I finished a chore or put Isaac down for a nap was to head to the computer to check my email or look something up.
I was more productive in the mornings, more focused on Isaac, and I took a couple naps and read more for an overall better feeling me. Ahhhh. I loved it. Of course, in the afternoon and evening I could use those electronics as much as I wanted. But I found that I wanted them a little less.
Definitely a success. I'm trying to decide where to go from here. Keep on keeping on? Modify a little more? Chalk it up to a nice experience and go back to my old ways? I think it would be good for me to keep doing it, but a little part of me is resisting. You know how that goes?
APRIL-JUNE 2026
2 weeks ago
3 comments:
I'm impressed...way to go Julie! I think I want to come up with a variation to do on a regular basis. Me and the computer can be a little too attached! Keep us updated on what you decide to do.
Way impressive Julie!
That is such a good goal. It must really keep you on task.
Wow, I can't believe you did it willingly!!! And since I wasn't on the computer, I didn't even know you were supporting us from far away. lol It really was a good experiment and my boys are playing with their toys willingly. Instead of me making them!
Post a Comment