Monday, March 29, 2010

Moving On

Sunday was the last day Isaac nursed. Sniff, sniff. Mixed feelings about that. We're moving on to a more mature baby phase (he's still a baby, right?). And I fasted for the first time since I got pregnant, so about 18 months. Wow! Can't believe it's been that long. I was a little nervous about it, but it actually felt SO good to be able to fast again.

This week we fly to Seattle to visit my Graden (paternal) Grandparents. In January my mom's parents encouraged the extended family to make 2010 and the coming decade a time to really focus on family relationships. I thought about that and realized I hadn't visited my Graden grandparents in about 18 months, so we began planning a trip. As we planned I felt strongly that we should go sooner rather than later. Easter/Conference weekend seemed like the perfect time because it was an excuse to just sit and watch General Conference and talk with my grandparents and not feel like we needed to go sight-seeing or anything. Several weeks later, my Grandpaw found out that he had Mesothelioma, an aggressive form of cancer cause by exposure to asbestos decades earlier. It was in the late stages of development, and his health very rapidly started deteriorating. He is confined to bed now, resting at home, done with the attempts at chemo. He's moving on. I can't wait to see him one more time and have him meet Isaac before he goes. I feel an enormous sense of gratitude for the promptings of the Spirit that made this last visit so timely, and for the life of faith and integrity that my grandpaw must be so at peace with. I hope he'll tell my mom hi for me.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Bitter sweet times. Sure love you guys!

Laura said...

I'm so sorry about your grandpa, but I'm glad that you get to go visit. Enjoy!